Scroll to the bottom for more goodies ...

My photo
"Poetry is the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash." Leonard Cohen

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

HERE'S HOW I SAW YOU OFF













In a sotto voice, gentle as rain
he bid us come into the office
and laid out papers to sign
Then went to get you - I was
surprised at the tiny box holding
your cremains
In the end, I guess we all don't
amount to much
I remember thinking

Then, still kind as ever, he pointed
out the corner screws on the lid
Asked me if I had a Philips screw-
driver; it was the law
You be securely fastened inside
the little pine box
Until such time I was ready to
disperse your ashes

Just so happens, I do carry a
multi-use driver, so smiled
in the affirmative
He and I firmed up plans for
your memorial at the
Warrior's Cafe on Thursday
He agreed to read the
eulogy I'd written but
was afraid to read
Fearing I'd break down

So - music selected - check
Hall and food arranged - check
Obit written and in paper - check
Hymns picked - check
Programs printed - check
Minister booked - check
Eulogy written - check
Memorial collage designed -check
Cremains fetched - check
Death paperwork done - check

Send you down river - check.
Mourn you forever - check.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts? I'd love to hear them. Truly.