Scroll to the bottom for more goodies ...

My photo
"Poetry is the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash." Leonard Cohen

Friday, April 9, 2010

MIRROR, MIRROR - in words and pictures, an autobiographical poem











MIRROR, MIRROR

Through the years the woman looking back
At me from my mirror has been so changeable
As to be unrecognizable from time-to-time
By those nearest and dearest, and even by me



The early years, before my twenties, are blurry
But I was in the fashion business so I have
A photographic record and can look at it
And say, oh – so that’s who I was back then



After I married, I would often look in the mirror
And depending on the day, say to the woman
I found there – you are the luckiest girl alive, or,
What have you done? Where can you run?













There were times when I would stumble into
My bathroom afraid to turn on the light, frightened
To confront the crone I knew was awaiting me in the
Mirror there, especially if she had been there long













Oftentimes, I would glimpse her accidentally
And she would rail at me to end it all and I would
Let her, listening intently, then crawling away
To whatever hidey-hole I’d fashioned for a time


The crone would never leave me willingly, on her
Own – I would have to run away, most often to
A hospital, away from mirrors, for a time, to oust
Her from my house – then, when I saw a semblance














Of myself reflected back – I knew I could return
To family, to sanity – to try again, and I would
Reinventing the woman I thought I should be
Becoming wife, then mother, trying always to stay sane



After many, many years – I found the mirror less
Intimidating and the crone appeared less often
Or maybe I became used to her and familiarity gave
Me a certain advantage – I knew I could beat her


Or even learn to live with her and so I did
Now she and I are one – we try to live together
In a kind of truce, with a sort of wisdom
I know she can take me down if she puts her mind to it













She knows I am stronger than I used to be
And don’t go to ground nearly as quickly
Or without putting up a fight, as in the good
Old days —we are making it work somehow














There is an old adage about living your life
In such a way so that you can face yourself
Look at yourself in a mirror — I get that now
I’m finally able to do it, at least today I can.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts? I'd love to hear them. Truly.