Scroll to the bottom for more goodies ...

My photo
"Poetry is the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash." Leonard Cohen

Thursday, April 15, 2010

FROM MY TOWER ON THE ISLAND 2nd for 04.14.10 prompt


From My Tower on the Island

Looking directly down, a sea of white lilacs bobs
and dances round your base
And its fragrance is so heady that at times I forget
I am your prisoner still
But as needs be always, I eventually lift my eyes
to stare off to see the sea
She’s glorious always, today’s no different,
Spring’s ocean sparkles full of promise
Hues of aquamarine, beryl, turquoise – those are just
the layers visible to me
Inhaling deeply I’m convinced the saltiness of brine
is carried inland all this way
And coats my taste-buds, makes my eyes sting –
it isn’t true but I’ll pretend
It makes captivity that much more bearable if
I can make myself believe these things
Believing also that I have chosen to be housed
in this tall aerie as if some exotic
Bird-woman expecting to birth a new race of
bird-children, just biding my time
Until the planets are aligned and my phoenix will
rise from ashes new and rescue me
Together we will fly off into the velvet inky
blackness of the night-sky and free,
We will create a species worthy of the time
I’ve spent up here concocting such a future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts? I'd love to hear them. Truly.