Scroll to the bottom for more goodies ...

My photo
"Poetry is the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash." Leonard Cohen

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

APRIL 7.2010'S POETIC ASIDE'S CHALLENGE POEM

April 7.2010 prompt "until_______"

Until the Cows Come Home

You can stay out until the streetlights come on
You are young until you think you are not
I will love you forever, I will like you for always
And I will tell you this until the cows come home

When we were younger and first in love
We thought we’d live forever and never fall apart
We knew we were invincible and nothing could hurt us
And we would be together at least until the cows came home

Then we got married and stayed that way for years
Even though sometimes we spent less time laughing then
we spent in tears
Maybe it was habit or maybe it was strength but we stayed together
And we lasted longer than we thought, we lasted ‘til the
cows came home

When my grandson’s older and he asks me do I know
What’s the longest time you’ve waited for someone to grow
Or grandma, what’s the latest you’ve ever stayed awake, or
Do you know what is the longest, biggest, trip you’ll ever make

I know I will take some time and probably scratch my chin
And will likely roll my eyes and pretend to take it all in
Then, I will shake my head and use my fingers for a comb
And say the answer to everything’s : until the cows come home

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts? I'd love to hear them. Truly.