Scroll to the bottom for more goodies ...

My photo
"Poetry is the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash." Leonard Cohen

Saturday, November 8, 2014

BLINDINGLY SURE

















If you had to lose one of your senses, which would one
would you  choose to give up
If you had to never again experience the scent of vanilla,
say,  would you give up your sense of smell
Or, how about, if you learned that you would never again
feel the downy hair on your grandson's head
Or his fat little hand pressed warmly in yours...
Your sense of touch is such an intimate part of you, yes?

Could you give up speaking? Your voice being mute 'til
the end of your days...
Conversely, could you stop having to listen, because
you'd given up hearing for good
Imagine - no music, no voices, no birdsong...living in a
world gone silent
Speaking and hearing are linked so if you're giving up one,
the other might well be gone also.

Much as I cannot imagine, never hearing Albinoni's Adagio
again, nor the first Robin announcing Spring, the geese
veeing and honking to announce Fall departing,
and winter's arrival
Nor can I feature a world of never touching silk, velvet,
a rose petal, or a thorn for that matter...all of those
sensations just gone...unfathomable
But the one sense I can't even conceive of living without
is my sight...

I know intellectually, I would learn to adapt to anything
I had to...it's just a fact of life...
But to lose one's eyesight, especially after being a sighted
person for almost seven decades...
Blind...even the word gives me chills...I don't know for sure
which sense I might choose to exist without
But I do know the one I fear most to lose; I am blinded by the
very idea...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts? I'd love to hear them. Truly.