Scroll to the bottom for more goodies ...

My photo
"Poetry is the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash." Leonard Cohen

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

19

Honouring Esther*

One of the osteo experts
Is frantic to put her
Somewhere while the group
Are partying hearty

It’s Friday night
After a particularly
Grueling week after all
But she is 2500 years fragile—

Would we be creeped out,
He wonders, if she were
To overnight in our room –
I tell him, not in the least
Secretly thrilled
She’ll be in our care

*archaeologists name everything, from equipment to cars to, of course, skeletons – when first this one was found, there was no way to tell the sex, so the students named it “Mr. Garrison” after a transgendered person on the TV show South Park, I believe. However when they discovered the foetus and the other unmistakable indicators that this was a woman, I found myself thinking of her as “Esther” – I have no idea why, but it just seemed me and so Esther she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts? I'd love to hear them. Truly.